While writing a recent post thanking my coach, it got me thinking about customized coaching and why I highly recommend it for any athlete.
There are a variety of training plans available for people to use or refer to while training for races of many different distances. When I first started training, I used a variety of these training plans, pulling bits and pieces from each, to help me reach my goals. After doing this for about 6 years, I felt like my training and racing had plateaued. I decided it was time to take my training and racing to the next level…so I hired Coach Julie with Zoom Performance Endurance Coaching to help me.
I have found many advantages to have a customized coach:
- My customized training plan is designed for my physiology, my goals, my schedule and where I am at mentally. If changes need to be made due to schedule conflicts or injuries (on those rare occasions), it happens seamlessly.
- My workouts are designed with a purpose in mind…I’m not just doing a workout for the sake of completing it. Instead, I am trying to achieve a certain goal/purpose to help better prepare me for my race day.
- I am held accountable to someone instead of to a training plan that has been designed for the average athlete. Without someone holding me accountable, it is much easier to skip a workout with little guilt.
- I am paying Coach Julie. Some people would see this as a disadvantage, but for me it is a definite advantage…by paying for her coaching services and knowledge, I am often reminded of the need to complete my workouts to the best of my abilities so that I truly get what I am paying for.
- It requires me to be dedicated and complete my workouts as prescribed.
- My training zones have been established for me to use during my training workouts. Power output can also easily be established (now if I just had some extra money laying around for a power meter on my bike…hmmm).
- Coach Julie has helped me develop my strengths…swimming and running
- She has also helped me improve my weaknesses…cycling and mental toughness
- She has helped me find my limits and push past them to become a stronger, faster athlete. As a result, I have passed through that plateau and I am seeing improvements in my training and racing 🙂
- Having a customized coach is the right thing to do. When it comes to race day execution, the customized coaching has never let me down.
There are probably many other reasons that I have forgotten to mention, but the most important point…EVERY ATHLETE should hire a knowledgable and reputable coach to customize their training plan and help them meet their goals!!