Like most years, 2013 was a roller coaster ride. There were ups and downs. Luckily I had more ups than downs 🙂
Let’s start with the lows, so I can end 2013 on a high note!!
- Superior Man Triathlon, August 25: DNF (Did Not Finish)
- Grandpa died September 9 (just 6 days shy of turning 96 years young): While I am very sad that he is gone, I am happy that he lived such a monumental life and is now reunited and dancing with Grandma.
- I fell into a mental slump after my DNF in August and really struggled to find self-control again. Every workout I did was a challenge both physically and mentally and I lost focus for a while.
- I injured my right shin after the Indianapolis Marathon and had to go though physical therapy. As it turns out, it was caused by my back on my left side…go figure.
- I got sick, strep throat, severe sinus infection and the beginning stages of pneumonia, in the middle of December (just before winter break).
- Bringing in the New Year with a New Year’s Day “5K” race
- Little Rock Marathon, March 3: While this wasn’t a PR for me, I was very happy breaking the 4 hour barrier and had a fantabulous weekend with friends!!
- Drake 1/2 Marathon, April 28: While this wasn’t a PR for me, I did get to help a friend find the inner strength to push herself when it got challenging and finish the race.
- Ironman Kansas 70.3, June 9: I set a PR with a time of 6:05.53 (shaving 26.51 off this distance)
- Lake Geode Olympic Distance Triathlon, July 13: I set another PR with a time of 2:53.40 (shaving 11.46 off this distance)
- Okoboji Triathlon, July 20: Another PR with a time of 1:55.07 (shaving 3.00 off this odd distance triathlon)
- Olympic Distance Triathlon Age Group Nationals, August 10: I broke the PR I set at Lake Geode one month earlier and set a new PR with a time of 2:49.03 (shaving 4.37 off my Lake Geode time)
- The Iron Hippie and I renovated our back yard…regrading the slope of land, installing a new fence, putting in a fire pit with a small patio around it and seeding the lawn. We still have some work to do, but the yard already looks 100% better than when we bought the house.
- Signed up for Ironman Wisconsin 2014, September 9: I will again be competing in Ironman Wisconsin on September 7, 2014. I am excited to train and race at that level again!!
- I was blessed to spend time with family (both immediate and extended) when we celebrated Grandpa’s life.
- Indianapolis Marathon, October 19: I ran my 2nd fastest marathon to date and finished in 3:56.42. While I didn’t qualify for Boston like I originally hoped, I did execute a near perfect race given the circumstances of the day.
- I was blessed to create MANY amazing memories with family and friends in 2013!!
- Finished off they year happy, healthy and ready to start IRONMAN training 🙂
What were some of your ups and downs of 2013?