The Iron Hippie and I eat our grapefruit VERY differently, but we aren’t the only ones. We actually had a conversation with 3 of our closest friends to see how they eat their grapefruit…lo and behold…we all eat our grapefruit differently.
- The Iron Hippie peels the whole grapefruit and eats each segment separately.
- M peels the whole grapefruit and eats it in quarter sections.
- A buys the grapefruit already peeled, segmented and stored in grapefruit juice.
- K cuts the grapefruit in half and uses a grapefruit spoon to segment each piece out.
- I cut the grapefruit in half, use a knife to cut around the inside of each segment and scoop each piece out with a spoon. I then squeeze all the juice out of each half of the grapefruit into my bowl and drink the juice. YUMMY!!
So, what’s my point??? That’s easy…how you eat your grapefruit is symbolic of training and racing and here are my reasons why:
- The variety of gear (wetsuits, goggles, bikes, helmets, bike shoes, apparel, running shoes, etc.) available to athletes allow them to be comfortable (or as comfortable as possible) while training and racing.
- There are many different training plans and coaches that individuals use to help them arrive at the start line happy and healthy.
- Everyone has their own unique journey.
- All athletes are at different fitness levels, so a workout that pushes one person may be very easy for another or vice versa.
- Individuals have different mental capacities…some THINK they CAN’T, some THINK they CAN and others KNOW they CAN.
- Methods of recovery can vary from person to person…ice baths, foam rollers, massages, stretching, yoga, naps, amino recovery tablets, protein shakes, etc.
- People have different plans for race day execution…different pre-race routines, different nutrition plans, different race strategies, different mental focus, etc.
- Race day goals are different for everyone…some just want to finish and others have time goals.
Since we are all unique individuals, we may eat grapefruit our grapefruit very differently, and have many different ways to cross the finish line of whatever race we choose to take part in. The ultimate outcome is hopefully the same for everyone…eat grapefruit and cross the finish line.
So…How do you eat your grapefruit???
Week #4 (Base Training) Totals:
Swim: 4400 yards
Bike: 41 miles (only two rides this week 😦 )
Run: 13.2 miles
Strength Training: 2 hours & 15 minutes
Hot Yoga: 2 hours & 30 minutes
Week #4 in the green 😉