Since the start of IRONMAN training, there have been a few things that have become the “new normal” in our household. Most of these things we experienced the last time we trained for IRONMAN, but we have forgotten all about them over the last couple of years…
- Lycra is sexy…good thing, since that is what the Iron Hippie and I typically don.
- I love your new perfume…it smells like a combination of sweat and chlorine.
- Food…I need FOOD!! I carry food with me everywhere…in my glovebox, my gym bag, my swim bag, my hot yoga bag, my desk drawers at work, it’s everywhere!! Well, not under the bed…yet 😉
- Unique tan lines that don’t mesh well with dresses and non-workout apparel…
- Laundry soap is a staple in our house…with 10+ loads of laundry a week and most of them being technical apparel.
- 8:00 pm and it is bed time…but the sun is still up. WHAT?!?!?!
- 4:15 am…rise and shine!! Time to start the day with a workout. Will it be a swim, run, strength training workout, trainer session on the bike…depends on the day 😉
- Two-a-day workouts almost everyday…
- Naps on the weekends…2-3 hours is great recovery!!
- My magical “lotion” is Hoo Ha Ride Glide Chamois cream.
- We go through Body Glide like it is water…
- Time for a massage…Do you want the foam roller or the stick? Occasionally we actually get a massage from a massage therapist, but it is often a self induced massage.
- Compression calf sleeves go well with long skirts and dresses…no one even knows I’m wearing them.
- Time is precious…working 40+ hours a week & training 15-16 hours a week (currently…this will continue to build as we get closer to race day) doesn’t leave a lot of time for house chores and socializing.
What things become “normal” when you increase your training/racing hours?