Yesterday we woke up at 4:30 am, hopped in the car and drove 40 miles to run the Drake 1/2 Marathon. When I woke, I had a gut feeling I shouldn’t be running this race. I couldn’t put my finger on a firm reason why, so I decided to just go with the flow and head to Des Moines. We arrived at about 6:10 am. With the start time at 7:30 am, we had plenty of time to get organized, do a short shake out run, hit the loo and get to the start line.
The weather was not in our favor with temperatures at 45F, winds at 25 mph from the E and a 70% chance of severe thunderstorms. While the temperature was almost perfect, the severe storms were anything but perfect. After a short shake out run we heard the following announcement as we approached the start line, “All races will be delayed 30 minutes. Please make your way into the Knapp Center to take shelter.” Great…just what we all want to do…wait in a crowded building for storms to pass. As you might expect, the energy in the building was high with lots of people ready to race. Some 1/2 marathon virgins and some veterans, some 10K virgins and some veterans, some 5K virgins and some veterans…all ready to run.
We waited for 30 minutes, when a second announcement was made, “All races will be delayed an additional 30 minutes. This means each race will be delayed 1 hour from the original scheduled start time.” At this point, we talked about our options…
- Continue to wait and hope that we eventually get to run the race. If the race actually got the green flag, would there be enough time to complete the race before the next round of storms made it into the area, or would we be pulled from the course?
- Head home and run on our own.
The Iron Hippie and I decided to do the later. We have run plenty of 1/2 marathon races (including this one in almost every weather condition imaginable) and our goals for 2014 are aimed at IRONMAN 70.3 Kansas in June and IRONMAN Wisconsin in September. While the Drake 1/2 Marathon would be a good test to see where our running fitness was, it was more of a C race for us.
They did eventually run the race, and from the reports I received, Mother Nature decided to cooperate for a bit making it possible for most to run a great race. Am I disappointed I didn’t stick around to race? No. The Iron Hippie and I got a nice run in at home with the dogs during a break in Mother Nature’s sour attitude (we did get a little wet, but the thunder and lightening were at bay during our run). I’m happy we are safe, dry and still moving forward toward a much bigger goal on our 2014 racing calendar.
Have you ever registered for a race you haven’t run?
Week #16 (Recovery Week): 11 hours
Swim: 4000 yards
Bike: 55 miles
Run: 19.9 miles
Strength Training: 1 hour & 45 minutes
Hot Yoga: 1 hour
Week #16 in the green 😉