We’ve all learned a lesson or two the “hard way” at some point in our life. I thought it would be
fun enlightening to share with you some of the lessons I’ve learned the hard way while triathlon training.
- While Hoo Ha Ride Glide (chamois cream) is minty fresh in the shorts, it is NOT minty fresh in the eyes. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly if you accidentally get some on your finger BEFORE rubbing your eyes.
- Tiger Balm in the groin area (for a sore/tight psoas) sounded like a great idea until I accidentally got some on the underwear…oops, now it is in the hoo ha area. This is not nearly as pleasant as it was in my mind before the application.
- Applying sunscreen to exposed areas only to have my workout apparel shift during the ride/run and end up with a small sunburn line where the sunscreen wasn’t applied. I’ve learned to spray sunscreen on under the clothes lines to prevent this.
- Releasing all of the CO2 before attaching the cartridge to the new tube to inflate…I guess I’m calling for a ride back to town since I have no other means of inflating this new tube.
- What starts off as a niggle can turn into an injury, so listen to your body, back off and don’t push through it. I have been on the injury train before, and I don’t like the ride. One would think that I’d learn from this and listen to my body so I don’t hop back on that miserable train, but apparently that isn’t the case, since I am back on this miserable train…again.
What lessons have you learned the hard way while training?