Last week Kay was looking for ways to “love to swim.” Here was my response to her:
“As for LOVING to swim, PLAY in the water (either before or after the swim)…do hand stands, dive to the bottom of the pool like you are diving for pool toys (better yet…take some with you). I try to play at the pool every time I swim. If the pool is deep enough, dive in, do a flip into the water, cannon ball into the water…PLAY!! Sometimes I start with play and other times I end with it. 🙂 “
When I was a kid, I would play in the water ALL. DAY. LONG!! I started doing triathlon as an adult because it reminds me of my youth! I LOVED to swim, I LOVED to ride my bicycle (although I did so without a helmet), and I LOVED to run around with friends…ALWAYS PLAYING!! Why not do things I loved as a kid now as an adult?!
Why am I bringing this up?! As a hobby triathlete, it is important to remember to have fun…both in training and racing! If we aren’t having fun, why keep training and racing? Sure, I want to get faster and am willing to push my limits to stretch my comfort zone, but this doesn’t happen with every workout!
So, here are some of the things I do to keep it fun during my training:
- When I am at the pool, I ALWAYS try to play! Sometimes I play before my swim and other times after my swim, but I’m always trying to reconnect with my youth. Sometimes I do somersaults in the water, other times I do hand stands, but I almost always do dolphin dives in the water. I love dolphin diving and coasting along the bottom of the pool!
- Getting fun new swim suits, swim caps, and pool tools also helps keep things fun in the water!
- When I bike, I try to ride with others during outdoor season and sometimes we plan our stopping point at the pool for some post ride shenanigans!
- Getting fun new tri kits and cycling jerseys is always a great way to keep it fun on the roads!
- When I am running, I try to mix up the scenery and take my girl with me as often as possible! Basil not only LOVES to run, but when we run through the park, it is so much fun for me to see the joy she experiences as she runs off leash. Her joy warms my heart!
- Hire a coach! When you have new workouts show up in your training plan, you get to experience fun on a whole new and challenging level! You also get the support, encouragement, and motivation from your coach to push yourself! I’m so thankful to have a coach who not only supports and motivates me, but also mixes things up and keeps my workouts fun! Thanks Coach Kelly for bringing new life to my training!!
How do you keep it fun?! What ideas do you have/implement to keep it fun as you SBR?!