Simone asked the question “Why Ironman?” and it got me thinking about why I want to do another Ironman…and then I experience race day (whether as a volunteer, spectator or athlete) and see videos like this and I know why I will do Ironman Wisconsin in 2014…
“Ironman is a metaphor for life. As with everything else, work comes before success. It pays to set goals, be disciplined, work on one’s weaknesses, overcome setbacks, and avoid being diverted from one’s charted course.” ~Mathias Muller
My top 10 reasons for why I want to do another Ironman…
10. I want to experience the extreme highs and lows…both while training and racing.
9. I want to experience the constant mental battle during training and racing that helps make me a stronger, much more well-rounded individual…the little negative Nelly sitting on my left shoulder vs. the much larger positive Patty sitting on my right shoulder.
8. I want to improve my weaknesses…cycling and mental fortitude.
7. I want to develop my strengths…swimming and running.
6. I love the feeling of overcoming challenges…both during training and racing. I enjoy challenging myself and pushing myself to find new limits.
5. I enjoy the feeling of overcoming the pain that comes with racing long and hard.
4. I LOVE the triathlon community!! Even though I have not met many of the people involved, I feel like many of the athletes, volunteers and spectators are like family…the triathlon community makes the race day experience TOP NOTCH at Ironman Wisconsin!!
3. I want to finish my next Ironman in a time faster than 16:15:00.
2. I want to have fun, doing what I LOVE…swimming, biking and running 🙂
1. I want to actually remember crossing the finish line this time and hearing Mike Reilly say, “You are an Ironman!!”